Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 78: Catch, Cook, Clean and Create

We emptied the six crab traps that are tied to my parent’s pier on the river. The old traps housed about two dozen beautiful, yet  cranky, Gulf blue crabs. The menacing  otters had helped themselves to a few of these river gems the night before according to onlookers.  The cantankerous crustaceans then were put to a quick death by a swim in dad’s boiling water. After letting them cool, they were packed for the  one hour drive home. This morning, Zach and I spread the crabs on the porch table by the pool and began the task of cleaning and picking. My hard work yielded me about three cups of beautiful white iridescent lump  meat of the Callinectes sapidus.  I used this prize to make a delicious crab and corn bisque and a crab meat dip. Both dishes were devoured by very impressed eaters. So from the bottom of the Bon Secour River,  to my dad’s outdoor kitchen, a car ride across the bay, a poolside surgery, a variety of additions and a touch and a dash and a stir, and then finally two very delectable treats and a story to share.


Pre Surgery




No comments:

Post a Comment