Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 202: Write poetry with students

This week, my creative writing classes are completing a poetry unit. Each day, I read some of my favorite poems to them and then provide them suggestions, “prompts” to get them started. I must admit reading and writing poetry with young people can be a pleasant way to spend the day. I have done this unit for years. The primary difference this year is I have challenged myself to write poems myself. So each time I have given them a “prompt” I provide my own examples.  Poetry is very difficult for me because it mandates such brevity and precision; I have a penchant for the wordy and over developed. Nevertheless, I attempted it and here is a sample:
Watching him design and build
Tiny villages for
Yellow dinosaurs and   firemen with
Red painted d smiles.
I am just a silent onlooker
In his world
Where a deflated Spiderman sleeps quietly
And a green tractor makes idle threats
To a pile of wooden blocks.
I stand silently and unnoticed
 Thankful
Time stands still for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment