Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 7: Pick Blackberries

Some of my most beloved childhood memories are of picking blackberries. In the Spring, the pesky sticker bushes became a little less of a nuisance when they were covered with the succulant and versatile berries. We would eat them canned, in cobblers, in pies, but mostly right of the vine.
Today, I took my kids and a few others to pick blackberries in a field not too far from home. At the end of the day, our "fun" had yielded us about 10 cups of these fat little berries, purple stained hands and faces, and barely menacing scratches on our ankles and fingers.
Tomorrow I will attempt to make jam. And then show my kids how I used eat it straight from the jar with a glass of milk.

1 comment:

  1. I love picking berries. Especially, blue berries. There is also a great book by Robert McCloskey titled, "Blueberries for Sal." Gosh, I read that book to Lillian so many times. She loved it. I'm sure you've read it but maybe your next trip to the Library you can pick it up for Zach.

    ReplyDelete