Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Days 114-130 Figure it out

In the first two weeks of school, my intentions were to manage my time more effectively to allow for more personal/fun activities to negate the demands of a rather demanding job. I was hoping by simple mind control techniques and prioritizing, I could continue the joys of summer well into winter. But that just didn’t happen. It was clear after a few days of school that lounging in the pool after school wasn’t going to happen. Ten minutes after the first bell rang I was already weeks behind and I have yet to catch up. I did manage to cook a dinner, remember when and where to pick up each kid each day, and create a path of toys, shoes, books, and assorted food wrappers to our respective bedrooms. It became clear that in order to survive the first quarter I would have to regroup and try again. I tried blowing it all off and going out with friends for drinks on a Wednesday night. This proved to be a very poor idea especially when the students the next day decided to be even louder and needier. So then I tried coming home and just watching TV. This ended when the cable company cancelled Fox and there is nothing else to watch on the other 78 channels. The first two weeks were spent establishing a routine more for survival than pleasure. With dance, cheer, day care, faculty meetings, band, Bible club, field trips, Mardi Gras meetings, working out, doctors appointments, parent conferences, overdue library books, broken house windows, and potty training to fill up my day, I realized I was going to have to get creative to find time for what really matters: me!

No comments:

Post a Comment