Search This Blog

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 56: Drop Ansley off at Summer Camp

Today I took Ansley to summer camp. I did not expect to spend the rest of the afternoon weeping. Watching my little pig tailed girl wave goodbye in my rear view mirror was easily one of the hardest things I had ever had to do. It occurred to me that from the moment they are born, the entire purpose of motherhood is separation. From first steps to first grade, everything we do is in order to help them become independent self reliant adults. A parent’s goal is to teach her children to ultimately spread their wings and fly away. And today, she took her first small flight away from the nest. And I am so very glad it’s only for a week.
Ansley and Skyler are ready for us to leave

1 comment:

  1. In just a few short days she will be back home with lots of fun stories to share. But one day she will leave for college or a husband and not come back home. Brace yourself, I speak from experience, it is much sadder. The house gets too quite, their bedroom is suddenly too big and too neat. And as a Mother, you know you child has grown up and gone.....and you don't feel too needed anymore. Then the grandkids come along and into your life and life suddenly has the happy sounds of kids you can play with again.

    ReplyDelete