Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 104: Welcome

Although I didn’t go to Lowe’s, today I shared with thousands of others across America the typical Saturday in the suburbs. It was frighteningly ideal. And like the song, I had to stop and think “how did I get here.” We had our coffee while watching the early news. Like every other married couple in the country, we then went to Wal Mart followed by a few hours of yard work. Watching him push the lawn mower while the kids watched cartoons and ate cereal, I felt so right with the world. We then prepared bbq pork, baked beans, and several cream cheese based dips. Later, we were joined by several other couples to enjoy a day by the pool. At least one SUV and one minivan dotted the driveway. The conversations ranged from kids, work, and the upcoming football season while a gaggle of candy stained faced kids made regular interruptions.  Later that we night blew out the candles, shut the garage, and said goodbye to a well deserved day of friends, family, food, and fun. Maybe tomorrow I will get a monogrammed purse or a bumper sticker with my kid’s name on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment